Etta James, perhaps best known as the voice behind the song “At Last“, passed yesterday morning in Riverside, California. Her powerful, versatile and emotionally direct voice could enliven the raunchiest blues as well as the subtlest love songs, most indelibly in her signature hit, “At Last”. Our condolences go out to her husband of 42 years, Artis Mills; her two sons, Donto and Sametto James; and her four grandchildren.
Though her life was far from perfect, Ms. James hoped her music had the ability to transcend unhappiness rather than reflect it, telling the L.A. Times in 1992 ““A lot of people think the blues is depressing, but that’s not the blues I’m singing. When I’m singing blues, I’m singing life. People that can’t stand to listen to the blues, they’ve got to be phonies.”
Thank you, Etta. You will be sorely missed.
political ole lady
- Farewell Etta James (juiapte.wordpress.com)
- A Versatile and Direct Voice: Etta James (nytimes.com)
- Soul Legend Etta James Dies At 73 (sweetspill.com)
- Etta James Dies at 73 (therogersrevue.wordpress.com)
- Etta James 1938-2012 (sliceofsashapie.wordpress.com)
- Beyonce Mourns Etta James’ Death With Tribute (hellobeautiful.com)
- Mark Weber’s tribute to Etta James, “At Last” (markinthecity.com)
- Christina Aguilera Sings Etta James’ ‘At Last’ At Singer’s Funeral [Video] (inquisitr.com)